Table of Contents
If you’re a developer or tech enthusiast who wants to have a look at the source code of an Android app. I will be helping you in this tutorial with the methods to extract code from Apk. It is one of the most important parts of reverse-engineering an Android app to discover hidden or upcoming features.
In this article, I will be explaining to you the best methods to extract code from the APK file of an Android app. Let’s have a look at this simple step-by-step tutorial.
How to Extract Code from APK : 3 Method
To extract code from the APK file of an Android app, you need to follow any of the 3 three methods listed here.
Method 1: Extract Code from APK using PC
To begin with this method, you need to be ready with the following things:
- Java Runtime Environment – https://www.java.com/en/
- Java SE Development Kit – https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/downloads/
- APKTool By iBotPeaches – https://ibotpeaches.github.io/Apktool/
- Android App’s APK – APKMirror or any other website
I guess you’re ready with the above stuff. Let’s begin.
- Install Java after downloading it from their official website.
- Install JDK after downloading it from the oracle website.
- Setup the Environment Variables for system user
- Download the APK File of Android App
- Download the APKTool.jar file from the official website
- Move the APK file and APKTool.jar file in the same folder and then run the following command.java -jar apktool.jar d allo.apk
- Now, you can edit the Strings.xml file in Notepad or any other text editor.
Method 2: Extract Code from APK using Android
It is very convenient to extract code from APK on the Android device itself. I am going to show you the steps to extract code from APK using Android. To extract code from APK using Android, you need to be ready with the following things:
- APKTool M App
- APK File of Android App
If you’re ready with the above requirements, then we are good to go. Follow the steps below to extract code from APK using Android:
- Install the APKTool M App after downloading it from MaximOff
- Launch the APKTool M App after installing it on your Android phone.
- Navigate to the folder where you saved the Android App APK file on your phone.
- Decompile the APK file using the APKTool M App decompiler
- Now open the strings.xml file and edit it the way you want.
- After editing recompile it to run the modified version of the app on your Android phone.
Method 3: Extract Code from APK online
It is very convenient to extract code from APK online as you don’t need to install anything on your devices. I am going to show you the steps to extract code from APK online. To extract code from APK online, you need to be ready with the following things:
- Any browser
- APK File of Android App
If you’re ready with the above requirements, then we are good to go. Follow the steps below to extract code from APK online:
- Open any web browser on your Android phone or PC
- Visit http://www.javadecompilers.com/apktool in the browser
- Upload the APK File to extract code from the Android app online
- After processing for some time, it will give you the decompiled version to download.
- Now, you can edit the strings.xml file and modify the project itself
- After editing you need to compile the app and run it on your Android phone.
Now, you know how to decompile or extract code from an Android app’s APK file. It will help you to discover the hidden or unreleased features of apps like Instagram, WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. You can get access to these features before their beta or alpha release.
Follow us on Twitter for the latest news and tutorials related to Android and Google. Thanks for reading the article.